Friday, January 01, 2010

It could be worse

The theme for this month is "best", and thus the challenge begins. What comes to your mind when you think of "best"? Best Foods? Best Wishes? Best In Show? Pete Best? Best I move on...
I'm reminded of the song "the best of all possible worlds" -- I remember hearing it many years ago, on an alternative radio station in Phoenix. I think it's by Todd Rundgren, but I can't find it on the interwebs just yet. The melody has stuck in my head; I liked the layout of the song and I hope I can find it.
What is the Best of all possible worlds? I don't think it's humanly possible to exist in this scenario -- someone will always have a criticism or desire for something a little bit better. It's only when we go through all the rough patches in life and as we approach the downhill years that we yearn for something simpler, something basic. But in the meantime, we are human and thus destined for constant unrest. I guess you could say this is a good thing, in that it doesn't make us settle for less, doesn't make us lackadasical, for as we all know, "familiarity breeds comtempt". The person that wrote that was not oblivious to the human condition of always yearning for more, no matter how good we may have it. The German philosopher Leibniz wrote about something similar, in that there must always be the existence of both good and evil in order to obtain the best of all possible worlds, because one cannot be justified without the other. The optimal solution would be, of course, to have a much larger proportion of good than evil. Evil must exist only to remind us of the benefits of good and why we must use our free will in a positive manner for humanity. This fight for proper proportion has been the albatross around mankind's neck since its beginnings, and it will never end unless we evolve past it. Given that we are now talking millions of years from now, I suggest (as have others) we focus on the immediate and try to make things Better, for now, as we move forward to the goal of Best.

No comments: