Saturday, January 03, 2009

Already struggling

First off: a belated Happy New Year to all. As we reach the mid-point of the 3rd day of the year, I am already behind on my New Year's resolutions. One of my resolutions was to blog every day for at least a month -- a couple of months ago, I joined this "club" that gives your blog web-wide recognition but the only requirement is that you blog every day for a month. Well, so much for that one. There's always next month, and hey, isn't February a short month? Next on the list is a regular regimen of diet and exercise. So far, no good. Can I use this weekend as my "transition stage" and go legit on Monday? That works for me. But I still have to "transition". OK, haven't had breakfast yet today, so doesn't that count? Playing cards tonight with the boys, so I'll be indulging in cocktails, but I could help myself by not eating or snacking during or after the drinking hours. A couple of years ago, I was on a strict daily run/walk/weightlifting routine and it worked very well. I'd like to restart that program, but it's been difficult for me to get motivated enough to get up early for the walk/run. Doesn't work after work or after the kids go to sleep -- my work hours are too uneven to rely on for a steady program, and by the time the kids go to sleep, I'm exhausted, too. The "crack of Dawn" routine is the only one that works for my schedule, but it's so difficult to implement because of the cold and dark of the pre-dawn hours -- who wants to get out of a warm bed for that? Sounds like the first thing I need to do is to overcome the objections instead of the weather or hours.
Yes, it's a psychological battle that I fight every day. I just have to suck it up and deal with it. My goal is to lose 30 pounds by Easter, then keep it off to at least July 4th. If I can stay with it, it will stay with me. Anything you do on a daily basis over a 30-day period is more likely to be incorporated into your daily routine for the rest of your life, all things being equal, so I'd like to see if I can push myself enough to make it happen.
What's on your resolution list? Feel welcome to share your thoughts and ideas. I need all the motivation and help I can get!

No comments: