Friday, June 11, 2010

What Does It All Mean?

OK, fans, I'm going to try something new, hope it works: taking The Gang world-wide via blogspot and/or FB, which means we're opening it up to scrutiny, more discussion, and hopefully not a lot of derision...

1) USC Trojan-busters. The mighty NCAA has handed down a 2-yr bowl ban and yanked 20 scholarships because of conduct unbecoming by a couple of superstar college athletes on campus 3-5 yrs ago. As an ASU fan, and being very cognizant of the fact that the NCAA allows other schools to "poach" student-athletes of schools that are currently on bowl ban, I have mixed feelings on this, but I do agree with most of the "better" sports minds that believe the punishment should be directed at the money and not at the current/future student/athletes. You want to send a message to the university? Dock them of some of the MILLIONS they received from their bowl games and other successes. Don't penalize today's players and coaches for the indiscretions of former players and coaches. I've never understood the logic of that penalty. Don't be myopic, either: these schools are doing it for the money, nothing more. To quote the great Billy Ray Valentine: "You know, it occurs to me that the best way you hurt rich people is by turning them into poor people."
2) Chicago Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup! Oh, baby! It's only been 49 years, but who is counting? As a young Blackhawk fan that idolized Tony Esposito and died a slow painful emotional death at the end of the 1971 Stanley Cup Finals (against the hated Montreal Canadiens), I can finally smile and be at peace. Granted, I was silently hoping for the Canadiens to beat the Flyers so that I could have full payback, but still, it's great to see the current ownership make the right moves to bring this proud franchise back to national prominence where they belong. The current owner of the team, Rocky Wirtz, is the son of the late Bill Wirtz, and it was the latter that had broken my heart many times because he would persistently refuse to make any moves to advance the team via free agent acquisition or signing young talent to long-term contracts. When Wirtz senior died last year, the son took over and made it a powerful team, and, for that, I say THANK YOU!
3) NBA Finals. Was it just me, or did the Lakers seem bored last night? Looked to me like the Lakers knew they could turn a switch any minute and blow out these pesky 'Tics, but I believe they prefer to win it all at home this year and threw the home crowd a bone. I still stand by my prediction of Lakers in 6 games. The 'Tics looked old and tired, and they needed all the effort of their inconsistent bench to pull out a meager win last night. If you don't know by now, I love L.A...This series is over.
4) Cavs' Coaching search. Tom Izzo was in Cleveland yesterday, but it was also reported that Byron Scott (FROM...Arizona State!) was interviewed via phone. I love Coach Izzo for his passion and hoops knowledge, but I was scratching my head about the idea of bringing in a new guy that has no NBA experience to replace the former guy that was fired after winning NBA Coach Of The Year two years ago. Maybe Izzo could be a great NBA coach, but why take a chance when you know your super-duper star is in dire need of better NBA coaching guidance, and Scott has proven he can get troubled teams turned around to play the NBA way successfully.
5) AND FINALLY...The World Cup starts today! Who ya got? Good Luck to Mexico today, they get the tough draw of playing the host country to start the games. Here's the real question: our brave lads will be playing those BP-slimed Brits tomorrow at 1:30 EST -- will you stop what you are doing to watch this match? Lots of different opinions on this. I think that, given the level of competition here, and given that Brits' fans remind me of those delusional die-hard NYJets fans at the NFL Draft -- you know the type: always vocal, always loyal, always heart-broken in the end -- I'm going to watch it. Memo to World Cuppers: We Americans like high-scoring games. If you're looking for more support for your sport, I gotta tell ya, these 1-Nil matches are not gonna do it. And God help you if we have another tournament come to the end via shoot-out. Are you serious? You're going to run, kick, grab, sweat, clutch, suffer pain, all for a shoot-out? Not a good idea.
OK, your turn to respond. Bring It, but be sure to Come Correct! OUT

No comments: